stats

Sunday 11 May 2014

Orange Is The New Black - Piper Kerman Review

Orange Is The New Black
Published: 2010
Pages: 298


Description: 
With a career, a boyfriend, and a loving family, Piper Kerman barely resembles the reckless young woman who delivered a suitcase of drug money ten years before. But that past has caught up with her. Convicted and sentenced to fifteen months at the infamous federal correctional facility in Danbury, Connecticut. Kerman's story offers a rare look into the lives of women in prison - why it is we lock so many away and what happens to them when they're there.

Review:
 I had heard about the TV show of the same name but had no idea it was based on a true book, it was only when Ingrid aka missglamorazzi mentioned the book in one of her videos that I realised it was from a book. I decided to grab myself a copy and give it a chance.

I always thought all the American prisons were terrible, where you would get beaten up or shived which you probably do, so I was surprised to see that Danbury wasn't like that. It's a shame that she did commit a crime and she did eventually do her time, but the book is an eye opener and has made sure I never commit a crime. I think she coped bloody well, by finding something to focus on wether it be reading, writing letters or having a job. I can't imagine being locked up with a load of girls doing the same thing every day. You could see that it was hard for her but was lucky enough not to lose her marbles.

You wouldn't think it but she made some really good friends in there that she eventually came to se as family. Each inmate she was in contact with all brought something different to her life. All their personalities came across in the book. The inmates did look out for one another.

It's a brilliant read, and is a real eye opener to what goes on in federal prison, not a place I would ever want to have to go. A real page turner & worth the read, if only to scare you in to never committing a crime.

Rating?: 5/5
Recommend?: Yes.

Till next time

XOXO
Debbie

FTC: I purchased this book myself with my own money. My opinion is my own and 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment